Most of us want to age graciously and retain our youthful appearance. Unfortunately, not everyone has those amazing genes and must take care of our skin throughout life. As you age, the skin’s natural phenomenon tends to change, leading to the underproduction of collagen and elastin and thus resulting in sagging skin.
Fortunately, there are preventive and proactive measures to help reduce, reverse (mild droops) and slow down the skin sagging.
Most Common Causes Of Sagging Skin
Saggy or droopy skin is a natural part of your growth. The firmness in your skin when you are young starts to deplete as the skin ages due to the underproduction of essential proteins – collagen and elastin. The naturally occurring hyaluronic acid in the skin also reduces with age.
Though the aging process is the main culprit for saggy skin, extreme weight loss can also contribute to skin loosening. Other common causes are certain habits that we engage in (smoking, drinking, overexposure, pollutants, and many more) that may accelerate the aging process.
Another factor that can also cause harm to your skin health is constantly looking at your phone and tabs. In this digital era, most of us are aimlessly scrolling on the phone or tabs, holding our heads downward for long periods. This position can cause a lot of pressure on your facial skin, especially in the neck area. The longer you hold your head in this position, the longer your skin will stretch out. As you grow old, the skin will descend lower and lower beneath the neckline.
Additionally, facial muscle degradation can also create a sagging appearance. With age, the facial muscles get weaker and smaller, resulting in less area for the facial skin to cover.
How Can You Prevent Sagging Skin?
Incorporating the following proactive measures may assist in either preventing or minimizing the appearance of sagging skin.
- Maintaining your skin health is crucial. Apart from using remedies for external skin care, consume a balanced diet rich in antioxidants and good fats, hydrate yourself with water and fruit juices, exercise, and detox.
- Slowly cease ill habits such as smoking, alcohol, and other health-impacting behaviors.
- Try to get enough rest, and reduce physical and mental stress.
- Use sunscreen and retinoid/vitamin E/vitamin C-containing firming lotions.
Home Remedies To Restore Skin Elasticity
Even though we cannot reverse the skin’s natural sagging process, we can at least try to delay it with the help of some natural remedies. Skin tightening need not be a costly affair. Several natural remedies that exist around you can aid in skin tightening.
- Egg White Masks
Egg whites are a much-boasted remedy and the easiest way to get your skin tighter and more radiant. The protein called albumin in egg white facilitates the skin’s resilience. Also, the ultra-hydrating formula can give your skin a firmer, smoother appearance.
DIY Mask: Combine one egg white, a teaspoon of lemon juice, and a teaspoon of raw honey. Apply this mixture over your face and allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes before washing it off.
Cucumbers can inhibit the breakdown of elastin by an enzyme called elastase. Thus, it builds collagen, tightens skin, and supports cell wall renewal.
DIY Mask: Mash some cucumber pieces and mix them with half a cup of yogurt. Apply it to your face and neck, and gently massage it in circular movements. Leave the mask for a few minutes and rinse it off.
- Wheatgerm Oil
Wheatgerm oil, rich in vitamin E, helps the skin to tighten and firm up.
DIY Mask: Massage this oil upwards on the face and neck before bed. Leave it overnight. Let the tightening properties of this oil do its magic on the skin.
Strawberries, a good source of AHAs and BHAs, improve the skin’s overall texture and appearance. The acidic properties mildly exfoliate the skin, controls excess oil, tighten pores, and prevent breakouts.
DIY Mask: Mash some strawberries and spread the pulp onto your face and neck. Wash off after 15-20 minutes. You may also add sour cream for skin toning and rose water to get healthy glowing skin.
Incorporating strawberry face masks with other ingredients will also enhance your skin’s appearance.
Pineapple enzymes aid in the exfoliation of dead skin cells and improves skin elasticity. It also helps with skin hydration leading to even skin tone.
DIY Mask: Make a paste out of fresh pineapple juice and one spoon of powdered milk. Apply it evenly over your skin and rinse it with lukewarm water after 15 to 20 minutes.
OTC Products To Tighten Your Skin
Many OTC products are available on the market that can firm up and tighten your saggy skin. Settle for products that have the following ingredients to gain maximum benefits.
- Collagen-Based Cream: Collagen, a protein that promotes skin elasticity, is naturally present in the skin. It is the most needed protein that keeps the skin soft and elastic. Using collagen-containing products may assist you in maintaining healthy skin along with enhancing the skin’s firmness and elasticity.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin is often touted for its skin-lightening and brightening properties. It is essential to produce collagen to maintain the skin’s elasticity.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic acid evens out the skin tone and firms out the contours to give you a very youthful appearance. Hyaluronic acid is on top of enhancing collagen levels bringing back the youthful, refreshed glow to your skin.
- Glycolic Acid: Glycolic acid with anti-aging properties revitalizes your skin by targeting sun damage, reducing the lines and wrinkles, and accelerating collagen production.
- Lactic Acid: Studies have shown that lactic acid helps to thicken and tighten the skin, resulting in fewer fine lines, wrinkles, and other premature age marks.
You may also look into other anti-aging skin ingredients for any other visible signs of aging.
Exercises For Tightening Sagging Skin
Apart from consuming a nutritious diet, you may also try some facial exercises to strengthen and prevent sagging skin. Performing these facial workouts frequently can maximize the skin-tightening benefits.
- Make a closed peace sign with your middle and index fingers.
- Use your fingernails to press the skin downward over your brows gently.
- Use the weight of your fingernails to create resistance as you raise and lower your brows.
- Repeat this exercise for a count of 10 at least six times.
The Cheekbone Lift
- Place your middle and index fingers together over each cheekbone.
- Slightly tighten the skin by gently lifting it.
- Slowly open your mouth to form an “O.” While doing this, you will feel some resistance in your cheek muscles.
- Hold it in this position for at least five seconds, and then relax.
- Repeat it 10 to 15 times.
- Blow up your cheeks and swish the air in your mouth from one side to another.
- Continue doing this until you get exhausted.
- Repeat this exercise three or four times to firm your cheeks.
The Chipmunk Cheek Squeeze
- Put your chin forward and tilt your head back.
- Tuck your cheeks in as much as possible.
- Hold it for 5 to 10 seconds and relax.
- Repeat 10 to 15 sets.
“O” & “E”
This exercise helps tone the orbicularis oris muscle, which surrounds the lips, and the masseter muscle, which aids in closing the jaw.
- Produce an “O” shape with your mouth and hold it for a split second.
- Pull your cheeks back to smile “as though you are creating an “E” sound, as in the word “eat.”
- Hold in that position for a full second and relax.
- Repeat this exercise for 30 seconds.
Do like a pufferfish here. It can tone your cheek muscles and orbicularis oris around your lips. At the same time, you resist the air pressure that’s trying to separate them.
- First, fill your cheeks with air, then hold your mouth closed.
- Move the air in your mouth between the left and right cheek and hold it for 1 second.
- Repeat it for 30 seconds.
Double Chin Workout
You can tone your neck, chin, and jaw with the help of this workout.
- Choose a more comfortable position by standing or sitting upright.
- Leaning your head back, look up at the ceiling.
- Put your tongue on the roof of your mouth while keeping your head still. Because the muscles contract, your neck should have a tiny prickly ache.
- Slowly release the tension and return your chin to its natural position.
- Repeat five sets, with each set lasting about 25-30 seconds.
Cosmetic Procedures To Improve Skin Sagging
Treatments that are non-intrusive or minimally invasive can increase the suppleness and tone of sagging skin. When combined with healthy lifestyle decisions, they are usually the most successful.
For moderate skin sagging, you may consider non-invasive solutions like chemical peels, radiofrequency therapy, ultrasound therapy, or micro-needling. These treatments increase collagen production and enhance skin tone. The top layers of the skin are removed. You may be able to see the best outcomes after a few sessions.
An invasive procedure is typically a full or partial facelift, which involves simply removing some of your facial skin through tiny incisions to give you a tighter, more youthful appearance. The results of a facelift are reliable and effective.
Following your doctor’s advice is crucial if you undergo surgery to remove sagging skin.
You can always combat saggy skin by using a multi-faceted approach of following a healthy lifestyle combined with an effective skincare routine. Starting early when you first start noticing signs of skin drooping can help you plan preventive measures to slow down the aging process to have healthy, radiant, and younger-looking skin for a long time.
Q: Is it a good idea to use tape for saggy skin?
A: Yes, it can be a good option if you have mild to moderate sagging skin on the face and neck. It is not suitable for people with severe sagging or sensitive skin.
Q: How to cover saggy skin with makeup?
A: Try using makeup techniques such as contouring and highlighting to create the illusion of a more lifted and youthful appearance. Use a darker shade of foundation or powder to create shadows.
- Why Do I Have Saggy Skin: https://www.healthline.com/health/skin/saggy-skin
- What Causes Sagging Skin: https://www.hollywooddermatology.com/2019/07/16/what-causes-sagging-skin-how-do-you-treat-it/
- What can people do to firm up saggy skin: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/saggy-skin
- How to Fight Skin Sagging: https://www.torontofacialplastic.com/blog/how-to-fight-skin-sagging-skin-tightening-treatments-that-work-wonders/
- How to Prevent Face Sagging: https://www.aristocratps.com/how-to-tighten-sagging-skin-on-your-face-and-look-25-again/
- 9 Easy-To-Do Facial Exercises To Tighten Skin And Sculpt Your Features: https://www.bebeautiful.in/all-things-skin/everyday/9-facial-exercises-to-tighten-skin-and-sculpt-your-features
- 10 Facial Exercises to Tighten Skin: https://www.livestrong.com/article/207180-exercises-for-sagging-facial-muscles/