Dark spots on legs are fairly common and can appear on people of all skin types. These dark dots or spots on your legs are due to the concentration of skin pigment, trauma, insect bites, skincare products, moles, sun tanning, waxing, hormonal changes, etc.
The dark spots can range from brown or black dots to large patches on legs, feet, ankles, and even toes. These might look unsightly, hence the need to take care of them soon. Though the dark spots on the legs are benign in most cases, you can eliminate them with a simple course of action.
Table Of Contents
- What Are Dark Spots On The Legs?
- Let’s Discern What Causes The Dark Spots To Appear On The Legs
- Simple Measures To Professional Treatments To Remove Dark Spots On Your Legs
- Prevention Guidelines For Dark Spots On The Legs
What Are Dark Spots On The Legs?
Dark spots on legs are small patches of different hues (black, brown, or red) that are darker than your skin color. Dark spots can occur on all skin types and cause an uneven appearance on your leg, which can be embarrassing at times.
These dark spots are usually harmless, but some can indicate underlying health issues that require proper analysis and treatment. The characteristics of these dark spots also depend on the triggering factors that cause them to rise.
Let’s Discern What Causes The Dark Spots To Appear On The Legs
The appearance of dark spots can result from various external or internal causes or a combination of both. Some of these dark spots may disappear by themselves within a few days without any treatment, and some may require the application of natural remedies, mild lotions, or solutions to fade their appearance.
- Sun Exposure: Our skin produces more melanin (natural skin pigment) when exposed to sunlight. Excessive exposure or prolonged stay in the sun can contribute to the formation of dark spots or patches on the exposed skin. These appear gradually, and the intensity of discoloration may vary based on the exposure.
- Cuts & Scrapes: Our legs are more prone to cuts and abrasions. The skin here darkens during the healing process due to inflammatory response and melanin production.
- Razor Burn/Shaving: Improperly shaving unwanted hair can lead to razor bumps and scars. When you remove hair on your legs by shaving or waxing, you expose clogged pores to the air. The oil inside it combines with oxygen and changes color, appearing as small black dots on your legs. Using old or blunt razors can also contribute to tiny bumps, ingrown hair, clogged pores, dark patches, etc.
- Inflammation/Skin Issues: Dark spots may occur due to conditions like eczema, folliculitis, and psoriasis.
- Skin Infections: Fungal and bacterial infections may sometimes trigger small, discolored patches along with itching on your skin, such as in Tinea versicolor. Sweating, weak immune systems, unhygienic habits, humid weather, etc., influence the growth of these organisms. This infection interferes with the normal pigmentation of the skin.
- Diabetes: Fluctuations in blood sugar levels may also cause diabetic dermopathy or dark spots in some individuals. They usually appear on the legs like light brown, scaly patches in oval or circular shapes.
- Skin Cancer: Melanoma may appear as black or brown spots, especially in women.
- Hemosiderin Staining: This occurs due to venous insufficiency, i.e., the leg valves weaken and send blood backward.
Simple Measures To Professional Treatments To Remove Dark Spots On Your Legs
There are many options, from home remedies to OTC products to office procedures, to remove the dark spots on your legs. These options mostly rely on the intensity of the appearance and the cause.
First and foremost, you must make some necessary lifestyle changes, including diet and hydration. These changes would have some effect on fading and stopping or delaying the occurrences of further dark dots, spots, or patches on your legs or anywhere else on your body.
- Lemon and Honey Water
- Licorice Root
- Papaya Juice
- Green Tea
- Tomato Juice
Regularly infusing these into your diet as tea or juice will help flush out toxins from your body, boost hydration, and rejuvenate your skin, thus fading the discolored or dark spots on your legs and other areas. After a certain time, you can see a natural glow on your skin.
In addition to that, try our 7-day juicing plan to promote flawless skin.
Cover your limbs as much as possible to protect them from the sun. Also, practice a good skincare regime to avoid skin darkening.
There are various easy-to-get ingredients for you to choose from in your kitchen cabinet that may help lighten the appearance of discoloration through skin rejuvenation. Most of these ingredients possess anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to soothe any irritations associated with scars, dark spots, discolorations, etc.
- Turmeric: Mix turmeric powder with rose water, raw milk, or mineral water and apply the paste to the discolored patches. Try this remedy twice or thrice a week and see noticeable results in about two to four weeks. You may leave it overnight, but ensure you cover your legs properly to avoid staining your bedsheets.
- Potato: Spread freshly mashed potato on the dark spots and wash it after some time. You may also add a teaspoon of lemon juice to mashed potato for skin exfoliation. This DIY recipe will help eliminate dead skin cells and expose the skin underneath.
- Vitamin E Oil: Gently massage the oil on the affected areas or blemishes until it gets absorbed. You can do this twice a day. Leaving it overnight can broaden the benefits.
- Oatmeal: Make a mask with the required amounts of ground oats and two to three spoons of lemon juice. Apply the paste on your legs and gently scrub it. Rinse off after the mixture dries.
- Orange Peel: Take the required amounts of orange peel powder and yogurt, and blend it well. Apply the mixture on your legs or the affected areas, allow it to stay for about 20 to 30 minutes, and then rinse it with lukewarm water.
More OTC products are available to reduce dark spots on the legs. Read the label thoroughly to be advised of the ingredients, applications, and reactions. Many ingredients help diminish the appearance of dark spots, including:
- Vitamin C
- Licorice Extract
- Kojic Acid
- Emblica Extract
A Word Of Caution: Any of the above ingredients may cause an allergic reaction in some people; therefore, doing a patch test on a small area is advisable before directly applying it to the affected areas.
If you see no visible results with natural remedies or OTC products after a certain point, you may consult your doctor for suitable treatment.
- Bleaching Creams: Initially, you may be prescribed bleaching cream or ointment to lighten the localized dark patches on the skin. These bleaching creams contain skin-lightening ingredients – topical retinoids, hydroquinone, cysteamine, botanicals, topical corticosteroids, and mercury. These ingredients target the skin’s melanin and reduce its production, thus lightening the dark spots.
- Chemical Peel: Applying chemical peels gives you healthier and more evenly pigmented skin by removing the top layers of uneven-toned skin.
- Cryotherapy: Here, liquid nitrogen is employed to destroy extra pigmentation. Your dark spots will start to fade during the healing process.
- Laser Therapies: Laser therapy is another option to clear the dark spots and correct the imperfections on your legs. It is an excellent option for reducing melasma. The wavelength used in laser treatments depends on your dark spots’ depth and skin type.
Microdermabrasion: This method treats only the skin’s outer surface, not the deeper deposits of pigmented skin. Combining microdermabrasion with other treatment options capable of inhibiting melanin production and reducing deeper hyperpigmentation may give you a better result.
A Word Of Caution: A qualified physician or dermatologist must perform the above therapies to get the desired results and minimize the side effect profile.
Prevention Guidelines For Dark Spots On The Legs
You cannot completely prevent or stop the formation of dark spots on the legs. But still, you can minimize the occurrences of dark spots and prevent the existing marks from worsening. We have enlisted some tips for you to follow with ease.
1. Proper Care After And Before Shaving
It is essential to use a clean, sharp razor for every shave. Refrain from shaving your skin while it is dry. Wet your legs before shaving to prevent any skin damage. Post-shave, give your legs the needed moisturization with your favorite moisturizing cream.
2. Unclog The Pores On Your Legs
Unclogging your pores using a physical scrub is a great and beneficial practice. It can speed up skin cell regeneration. Also, preventing the oxidizing activity of air and open pores may improve skin texture and keep the legs smooth and clear. Refrain from over-exfoliating.
3. Moisturize Your Leg Frequently
Moisturization is a must-needed activity to maintain healthy, smooth skin. Proper moisturizing techniques can save your skin from dryness and inflammation post-shaving and exfoliation.
4. Protect Your Legs From UV Exposure
Sun exposure without proper protection increases the risk of developing sunburns on your legs. To reduce this risk, apply sunscreen to your legs, particularly your shins and the backs of your knees. Reapplication at certain intervals is essential to maintain the protection for a long duration.
5. Do Some Changes In Your Dressing Styles
The color of your dress affects how well it protects your skin from UV rays. Dark colors like red, black, and navy blue absorb more UV rays than lighter colors like pastels and whites.
Synthetic and semisynthetic fibers like rayon or polyester are better for protecting your legs from sun exposure. Also, in the case of fit, looser threads can offer better protection for your legs than super-tight clothing.
6. Treat Your Underlying Conditions
Treating the underlying conditions plays a crucial role here. If you notice symptoms of some specific skin conditions on your legs, consult your doctor immediately to find the underlying cause and treat it.
Ready To Flaunt?
You can achieve smooth, gorgeous legs by following a few simple steps and a well-organized skincare routine. Choosing the right products with the most suitable ingredients and trying natural homemade remedies are necessary to even out the skin tone and clear dark spots on your legs.
So, get ready to wear your short outfits!
1. Why do I have dark dots or spots on my legs?
Dark spots can occur due to sun overexposure, insect bites, skin care products, diabetes, iron/B12 deficiency, etc. The dark spots fade away for most people with minimal to no treatment within a few days. Still, some may require treatment based on their underlying health condition.
2. Can I get rid of dark spots on my legs naturally?
Yes, most people can reduce the appearance of dark spots with home remedies. There are many simple ingredients, from turmeric to virgin oils, to help diminish the visibility of these spots and give you flawless skin.
- What Causes Dark Spots on Your Legs and How Can You Treat Them?: https://www.healthline.com/health/symptom/dark-spots-on-legs
- What Causes Dark Spots on Your Legs and how treat them?: https://foxveinexperts.com/what-causes-dark-spots-on-your-legs-and-how-treat-them/
- Dark spots on legs – symptoms, causes and possible treatments: https://www.selfologi.com/treatments/skin-rejuvenation/dark-spots-on-face-skin-causes-how-you-might-treat-them/dark-spots-on-legs-symptoms-causes-possible-treatments
- Dark Spots On Legs: Causes, DIY Home Remedies, & Treatment: https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/how-to-remove-dark-spots-on-leg/
- How To Get Rid Of Black Spots On Legs And Feet?: https://www.olivaclinic.com/blog/how-to-remove-black-spots-on-legs-feet/