As we age, the general reduction in skin quality, collagen, and elastin may contribute to different facial wrinkles and fine lines. These wrinkles and lines make you unhappy and turn your skin uneven. Especially wrinkles around the mouth can easily add extra age to your appearance. Sometimes, it resists you from smiling too.
Fortunately, there are various remedies and cosmetic procedures to level out the fine lines and wrinkles and tighten the sagging skin around the mouth. Here’s a brief rundown of the causes, types, and effective wrinkle-reducing treatments.
Table Of Contents
- What Causes Wrinkles Around Your Mouth?
- Types Of Mouth Wrinkles And Fine Lines
- How To Reduce Wrinkles Around Your Mouth?
- Best Treatment For Wrinkles Around Your Mouth
- Smile Without Worrying About Your Wrinkles
What Causes Wrinkles Around Your Mouth?
Primarily, perioral wrinkles or wrinkles around the mouth are due to aging. With age, the collagen production around the lips becomes less dense, and the skin gets very thin compared to other parts of the face. Due to this, the area around your mouth is one of the first sites to display the first signs of aging.
Therefore, understanding the causes of wrinkles around the mouth is essential to treat in the right way. Various intrinsic and extrinsic factors may contribute to premature wrinkles along with outside influences hastening the process, including:
- Genetics: Your gene is vital in deciding how, where, and when wrinkles appear.
- Aging: Natural aging leads to a reduction in collagen, glycosaminoglycans (GAGS), elasticity, and skin moisture and creates wrinkles around your mouth.
- Sun Exposure: Our face, including the mouth, goes unprotected from direct sun exposure. Thus, UV radiation creates free radicals in your skin; these free radicals damage elastin fibers and contribute to deep wrinkles around the mouth.
- Dehydration: Dehydrated skin becomes less elastic more quickly and develops premature wrinkles around your mouth.
- Poor Nutrition: High-fat, processed, oily, salty, and high-sugar foods may create inflammation in your body and cause more wrinkles on the face.
- Smoking: Are you aware that smoking causes wrinkles around the mouth? Yes, the chemicals and smoke from cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and vapes speed up the production of an enzyme that breaks down your skin’s collagen – thus, the smoker’s wrinkles around the mouth.
- Stress: Another major contributor to wrinkle development around the mouth area. The stress hormone (cortisol) breaks down your skin’s collagen and elastin and impairs your skin’s ability to repair itself.
- Ethnicity: Different ethnic groups have different patterns of aging. Moreover, some groups may have less collagen production in their skin, and others may have thin skin in the lower part of their faces.
- Facial Expression: Expressions like smiling and puckering cause the skin to lose elasticity and create wrinkles around the mouth.
Types Of Mouth Wrinkles And Fine Lines
There are different types of mouth wrinkles, and an aesthetician will discern the type of wrinkle you might have. Here are a few potential types of crinkles or lines:
- Smile Lines: Smile lines or laugh lines will be visible near the corner of your mouth when you smile. Collagen loss and excessive and repeated facial movements are the causes of these smile lines.
- Marionette Lines: These lines run vertically between your mouth and chin. These lines give a saggy look to your mouth area.
- Lipstick Lines: Lip wrinkles, lip lines, smoker’s lines, or lipstick lines are the small vertical lines that appear along, on, or above your upper lip.
How To Reduce Wrinkles Around Your Mouth?
After learning about the causes and types, a question might pop up on how to eliminate or minimize wrinkles around the mouth. If so, there are various ways to fade the fine lines and wrinkles away. We suggest starting with natural remedies since these nourish your skin and help reduce the appearance.
- Egg: The healthy fats in eggs maintain the shine of your skin and provide it with the needed hydration and elasticity. Applying egg white on your skin is one of the best therapies for wrinkles around the mouth, as they tighten the skin and increase elasticity.
- Aloe Vera: Regular use of aloe vera on your skin helps it build collagen and elastin and diminish the appearance of crinkles around your mouth.
- Turmeric: The anti-aging curcumin in turmeric has strong antioxidant properties. It controls aging by protecting cells from damage and stimulating new cell growth. Try it as a mask by combining it with honey or tomato juice.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon is an excellent anti-aging ingredient with vitamin C. Massaging your skin with lemon juice can improve collagen production and repair damaged skin cells.
- Essential Oils: Massage your skin with essential oils by diluting them with a career oil. It increases firmness, suppleness, and skin cell turnover by boosting collagen production and protecting your skin from environmental damage. Some alternatives are sandalwood oil, neroli essential, frankincense oil, lemon oil, and lavender oil.
- Plant Oils: The essential fatty acids in plant-derived oils increase skin firmness and elasticity. It treats the photodamage on your skin and gives it a new look. Try castor oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil, or sunflower oil to massage your face, including your lips, nose, and mouth.
- Eating Antioxidants Rich Foods: When you eat more antioxidant foods, they neutralize harmful free radicals and keep fine lines and wrinkles away. Include artichokes, asparagus, cabbage, beetroot, avocados, lettuce, radish, squash, sweet potatoes, collard greens, pumpkin, and kale in your diet plan.
- Physical Activity: You can try facial exercises. These can help you strengthen your cheek muscles and reduce the wrinkles around your nose and mouth.
Best Treatment For Wrinkles Around Your Mouth
If you cannot get effective results through home remedies, the following treatment options for deeper wrinkles are at your disposal.
- Topical: Many serums and creams are available for treating wrinkles around the mouth. Following a strict skincare regimen with ingredients like hyaluronic acid and retinol can significantly impact your skin.
- Chemical Peel: This method improves wrinkled skin by removing the external dermal layer. When the skin is peeled, you will get more smooth and less wrinkled skin.
- Microdermabrasion: A non-surgical method with zero harsh chemicals that treats fine lines and wrinkles around your mouth by stimulating collagen production.
- Microneedling: Here, minor injuries are inflicted on the skin. Your skin responds to these injuries by creating new collagen-rich tissue. Thus, this method improves the tone and texture of your skin.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma: This is a non-surgical treatment that improves the appearance of your skin. This method uses your blood cells, like platelet and plasma, to rejuvenate your skin from the inside out.
- Dermal Fillers: Injecting filling material (such as hyaluronic acid or poly-L-lactic acid) into your skin plumps the tissue underneath the skin and levels the wrinkles. Thus, your skin becomes smoother and younger-looking. Collagen is the most popular and oldest cosmetic filler material.
- Botox: This treatment makes wrinkles relax and soften by obstructing signals from the nerves to the muscles in a particular area.
- Laser Skin Resurfacing: This method more precisely removes the external epidermis and the underlying dermis layer. Thus, it stimulates collagen production and gives you renewed, smooth, and firmer skin.
- Facelift: This is the last resort option for people with more sagging skin. A skilled surgeon will tighten your skin around the mouth and other facial areas via incision, sculpting, removing, and shaping the fat below the skin.
Smile Without Worrying About Your Wrinkles
Wrinkles around the mouth are generally unavoidable. Starting anti-aging products in your 20s can help you delay the development of these wrinkles. Also, you have many natural and cosmetic options to reduce the appearance and eliminate it. But it is also essential to consult your dermatologist to know the most suitable choice for your wrinkles.
Q: Will the mouth wrinkles go away?
A: The lines and wrinkles are caused by repetitive muscle movements. You can eliminate these with natural remedies, Botox, dermal fillers, etc.
Q: At what age do mouth wrinkles appear?
A: It can appear at any age, depending on your genes and lifestyle. Fine lines may start from the early to late 30s and deepen as you enter your 40s or 50s.
- What Causes Wrinkles Around the Mouth and Can You Treat Them?: https://www.healthline.com/health/wrinkles-around-mouth
- Wrinkles Around The Mouth: Causes, Home Remedies, & Treatment: https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/wrinkles-around-mouth/
- How Do I Get Rid of Deep Wrinkles Around My Mouth Naturally?: https://www.medicinenet.com/get_rid_of_deep_wrinkles_around_my_mouth_naturally/article.htm
- How to get rid of wrinkles around your mouth: https://ro.co/health-guide/get-rid-of-wrinkles-around-your-mouth/
- How to Tackle the Appearance of Wrinkles Around the Mouth: https://us.no7beauty.com/blog/anti-aging/how-to-get-rid-of-mouth-wrinkles/