The Meaning Of Those White Spots On Nails
Ever noticed color changes or white spots on your nails and wondered why it looks that way? Is there any connection between your health and these white spots? Yes, there are some. These white spots and discoloration usually reveal your poor nutritional intake, underlying diseases, and poor nail care routine.
These spots develop two questions in your head. They are, do white spots on nails go away, and how to fix the white spots on the nails? If you have these questions and are worried about the appearance of your nails, the following information can be helpful for you.
Table Of Contents
- What Do White Spots On Nails Mean?
- How Can You Remove White Spots From Your Nails?
- Remedies For White Spots On Nails
- Treat Your Nails Right
What Do White Spots On Nails Mean?
White spots or skin discoloration on your nail may indicate leukonychia. It can be a warning that tells you about vitamin deficiency, lack of nail care, nail infection, nail injuries, or allergic reactions.
Let’s check that in detail. Our nails are made of different layers of keratin, and these layers are usually transparent. This is the reason why we can see our nail bed. What happens if any damage or cracks occur in these layers? Due to these cracks and injuries, the air gets trapped inside these keratin layers and forms white spots.
Based on the appearance, we can divide leukonychia into three categories. They are
- If the white spots or discoloration on your nails are small and isolated, it is called punctate leukonychia.
- If you notice the vertical white line that goes up the length of the nail, it is called longitudinal leukonychia or Terry’s nails.
- If the white spots are broad horizontal lines that run across your nail, it is called transverse leukonychia or Muehrcke’s lines.
How Can You Remove White Spots From Your Nails?
You can try simple and professional ways to remove these white spots on your nails. The treatment methods for these white spots vary based on the cause and severity.
If the white spots are caused by injury or any temporary nail condition, simply allow your nails to grow out. Then, you can remove that easily.
Sometimes, poor intake of essential vitamins, nutrients, calcium, and zinc may also cause white spots on your nails. If it is the case, you can remove these white spots by simply improving the intake of these vital nutrients. Include more seeds, nuts, leafy greens, and dairy products in your diet to improve the appearance of your nails.
Nail moisturization is also essential for the healthy appearance of your nails. So, using cuticle oil or a moisturizing cream can be helpful for you to reduce the appearance of white spots. If the cause of white spots is a fungal infection, consult your doctor and take medication based on his prescription.
The chemicals used in nail polish, gel nails, or acrylic nails may react badly with your nails and form white spots. To treat this, remove the nail polish using a nail remover, and then avoid using that particular nail polish or chemical formulation in the future.
If you are a person who loves to try different and bold colors like orange, black, pink, or blue, always keep an eye on the chemical formulation. It can help protect your nails from harsh chemicals.
Remedies For White Spots On Nails
Following are some simple and natural remedies that help you remove or reduce the appearance of white spots on your nails easily and effectively.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice can fade the appearance of discoloration on your nail through its bleaching properties. You can try this treatment by applying a few drops of lemon extract to the affected area on your nails.
- Coconut Oil: If the white spot on your nails is caused by a vitamin deficiency or lack of nail care or moisturization, you can use coconut oil, a natural moisturizer, as a remedy. Simply apply a few drops of coconut oil to your nails to revitalize them and reduce the appearance of white spots.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: If the cause of the white spots on your nails is a fungal infection, the antifungal properties of ACV can help you. It treats the infection and helps reduce the appearance of white spots. For this, mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar in a bowl and soak your fingers in it.
- Garlic: This is another remedy for the white spots caused by a fungal infection. The antifungal properties of garlic help treat the infection and reduce the appearance of discoloration. For this, apply the garlic extract to your nails daily.
- Biotin: Vitamin intake is also a great remedy to treat these white spots. Biotin is one among them. It is a B vitamin that helps in nail health.
- Aloe Vera: This is another natural moisturizer that helps nourish your nails and remove the white spots through boosting moisturization. Apply freshly extracted or perfectly-stored aloe vera gel to your nails daily to see an improvement.
These natural remedies may take a longer time to show results. If you want better and faster results, consult a medical professional and try some medications.
Treat Your Nails Right
Analyze the causes through self-assessment or with the help of a doctor at the right time. Leaving the infection or vitamin deficiency untreated may affect the growth and worsen the appearance of your nails.
Q: Can medication create white spots on your nails?
A: Yes, chemotherapy, drugs used for bacterial infections, and retinoids are capable of developing white spots on your nails.
Q: Name some skin conditions that cause white spots on nails.
A: Skin conditions like nail psoriasis or hand eczema may affect your nail and create white spots on the nail matrix.
- What Is Leukonychia?: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317493#What-is-leukonychia?
- 5 Home Remedies To Treat White Spots On Nail: https://www.morphemeremedies.com/5-home-remedies-to-treat-white-spots-on-nail/
- 2 Home Remedies For White Spots On Toenails: https://naturallydaily.com/home-remedies-for-white-spots-on-toenails/
- Tell Your Mom! The White Spots On Your Nails Do Not Indicate Calcium Deficiency: https://www.hindustantimes.com/health-and-fitness/tell-your-mom-the-white-spots-on-your-nails-do-not-indicate-calcium-deficiency/story-qTaXHmJK9TH7dmpc0Y1xmI.html
- How To Get Rid Of White Spots On Your Nails: https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-White-Spots-on-Your-Nails