In this trend era, we try to do so much, from following clear skin diets to choosing the right skincare products to makeup to look presentable and attractive in front of others. And nails – we paint them from light shades to dark shades to neon colors – the list goes on.
With so many endless options available, we subject ourselves to the name of beauty; looking after your nails and maintaining them is beneficial. Moreover, maintaining your nails clean and healthy is the key to overall appearance and health.
To maintain strong, attractive nails, follow these straightforward tips.
1. Keep Your Nails Clean And Dry
Wash your hands frequently to protect against bacteria and fungi. Pay specific attention to the nail beds where dirt can accumulate.
During showers, don’t soak your hands for an extended period of time since this will cause the nail plates and cuticles to dry.
Pro-Tip: To prevent your nails, nailbeds, and cuticles from becoming dry, brittle, or flaky, consider applying almond or avocado oil onto your nails before bed.
2. Clip Your Nails Regularly
It is important to keep your nails snipped to look and feel healthy. Regular trimming makes your nails decrease the likelihood of breakage and damage. Just maintain them long enough to seem attractive, but this doesn’t mean you have to trim them short enough to cause pain. Hence, make it a habit to snip off your nails every few days to two weeks, depending on the growth of your nails.
Pro-Tip: Trim your nails carefully with a good clipper and smooth them with a file to keep them in good shape.
3. Moisturize Your Nails
Your nails will also tend to dry if you have dry, flaky skin. Since the nails don’t tend to produce oil, unlike our skin and hair, they are more susceptible to becoming brittle, leading to breakage or split. Therefore, your nails need external moisture to keep them healthy, like our skin.
Pro-Tip: Massage a few drops of olive or coconut oil on your nails. For better results, do it before bed and leave it overnight.
4. Keep Your Cuticles Healthy
One of the most important aspects of nail care is caring for your cuticles because they help secure the area around your nail base. You must be careful while cutting the cuticles since it can cause tiny wounds and allow the passage of bacteria and fungi, causing infection.
Dry, damaged cuticles can affect the nailbed and impact the growth of nails. Therefore, don’t push back or snip off your cuticles completely since your nails can be more vulnerable to infections. Never pick or bite the cuticles.
Pro-Tip: Use cream or cuticle oil to protect and strengthen your nails and cuticles. You may also use coconut or almond oil to hydrate and nurture them.
5. Don’t Bite Your Nails
Biting your nails can cause a lot of damage. In addition to giving your nails a pitiful appearance, it will also weaken and make them brittle. Along with the nails, your cuticles will also suffer damage.
Furthermore, biting your nails allows the transfer of dirt and bacteria into your mouth.
Pro-Tip: If you cannot quit the habit of biting your nails, paint them with a layer of transparent gel. It will make it hard for you to bite through. The other option is to use a bitter-tasting nail lacquer to deter you from chewing on your nails.
6. Eat Healthily
Healthy eating habits reflect your appearance. Our nails and hair are made up of keratin; hence it is necessary to consume healthy to keep it strong and healthy.
Remember, unhealthy eating habits and calcium deficits can contribute to issues like dry, brittle nails. For your body to help with keratin production, it’s necessary to consume adequate protein and omega-3 fatty acids. You may also add daily supplements like biotin and fish oil to strengthen your nails.
Moreover, adding zinc and iron-rich foods can help get rid of white spots and prevent the development of nail ridges. Vitamins A and C helps your nails appear glossy and moisturized.
Pro-Tip: Add fish, almonds, beans, beetroot, soy, lentils, whole grains, greens, etc., to your diet plans to reward strong, healthy, and shiny nails.
7. Hydrate Yourself Adequately
Hydration is also equally important, as is healthy eating. Consuming fluids with adequate nutrients also boost skin and nail health.
Consume fresh fruits and vegetable smoothies and juices for your body to absorb nutrition and detox for healthy skin and nails.
8. Don Your Protective Gloves Whenever Necessary
Many of us do a lot of tasks, including gardening and household chores, daily that tend to damage our nails. If you do these tasks with bare hands, you risk accumulating dirt and grime in the nooks and corners of your nails. The chemicals in the cleaning agents can also react with your skin and nails, causing them to become drier. The cleaning tools you use may also sometimes cause injuries to your hands and nails.
To avoid such reactions, use gloves to protect your hands and nails against debris accumulation and chemical agents. And most importantly, wash your gloves after each usage and dry them out in the sun for sterilization.
Pro-Tip: Choose the right skin-friendly gloves to handle your work skillfully.
9. Apply Nail Serum/Conditioners
Try some nail-strengthening serums to restore your nails’ enduringness. Similar to moisturizing your skin, your nails also need moistening. Many fancy creams and serums are available on the market for you to choose and opt for the ones that suit your skin type.
You may also use cruelty-free conditioners to nourish and hydrate your nails.
Pro-Tip: Use almond or avocado oil on your cuticles, nails, and nail beds to soften and moisten. Following this before bed and leaving it overnight can be rewarding for your nails.
10. Maintain Good Hygienic Habits
Keeping your nails clean and dry is very crucial. The moisture buildup may become an infection if your nails are constantly damp due to frequent contact with water. Moreover, don’t let your nails grow too long since dirt and bacteria can readily collect inside them.
Trim your nails straight across and then curve them at the tips to avoid any dirt accumulation.
Also, ensure you clean and sanitize your manicure tools after each use since they also can be breeding grounds for infection.
Pro-Tip: As a precautionary measure, apply natural disinfectants like tea tree oil on your nails to stop bacteria from forming and to protect against pathogens.
11. Avoid or Minimize Certain Things
It is very important to minimize or avoid certain things to have your nails in good shape. Keep the following things in mind while you’re dealing with your nails.
- Don’t use your nails as tools for picking, poking, and prying. Doing so will cause damage to your cuticles and even break your nails.
- Don’t overwash your hands since it will strip off the oils from your skin and make the nails dry. Some hand sanitizers contain alcohol and may make your nails look parched. Hence, use hand creams, and natural oils, and specially moisten your nails.
- Don’t remove nail enamel with a scraper. Doing so can peel off the outer layer of the nail, causing the surface to become uneven and scuffed as a result. Instead, use nail-friendly enamel removers, and don’t hurry. Soak your nails with the enamel remover-soaked cotton pad, wait for a few minutes to dissolve the enamel, and then rub it off – so easy! This method will help maintain the nail texture.
- Don’t use gel and acrylic nail polish, though they are undeniably attractive. The toxins in the acrylic powder may enter your bloodstream via nailbeds that can be hazardous to your nails and health. The UV lamps used in gel manicures tend to damage your skin and nails. You can opt for press-on nails because they are less hazardous and simpler to use.
- Pay attention to changes in your nail color, texture, inflammation, or strange growth. Healthy nails will have even texture and color. If you find anything abnormal, visit a dermatologist to find out the cause.
- Don’t share your manicure tools with others since there is a risk of infection spread. If you have been doing so, discard those tools, buy a new one, and keep it for yourself.
It is crucial to care for your nails as you do for your skin and hair. Caring for your nails is quite simple, and if you take the right steps, maintaining healthy nails may become simpler. Just be sure to follow these nail care tips to have strong, healthy, shiny, and clean nails.
Remember that changing your lifestyle, rather than investing in expensive nail care tools and products, is the greatest approach to achieving stronger, healthier nails.
Q: What gives your nails strength and health?
A: Vitamin B7, coenzyme R, and vitamin H are other names for the B-complex vitamin biotin. It encourages healthy cell development and aids in the metabolism of amino acids needed to produce proteins, which are crucial for nail growth. Foods and supplements high in biotin may help to strengthen your weak fingernails.
Q: How can you grow larger, stronger nails at home?
A: Since keratin, a protein, is a component of nails, increasing your protein intake can aid in thickening your nails. Healthy fats like omega-3 fatty acids from almonds and calcium are also essential for strong, thick nails. Lean red meat, shellfish, poultry, and turkey contain the needed proteins for your nails.
Q: What type of oil promotes nail growth?
A: The finest natural oils for nail development include almond oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, cottonseed oil, and coconut oil. You’ll be astonished by the results if you massage one of these oils into your cuticles and nails daily.
- Nail Care Tips For Strong, Healthy And Shiny Nails: https://www.bebeautiful.in/all-things-skin/everyday/8-nail-care-tips-for-strong-healthy-and-shiny-nails
- Handy Tips to Get Strong and Healthy Nails, According to Nail Care Experts: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/nails/a34645/healthy-nail-care-tips/
- Simple Ways to Banish Dry, Brittle Nails for Good: https://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/skincare/hands-feet/healthy-nail-care-tips
- How to Care for Your Nails: https://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Your-Nails
- Nail Care Tricks To Keep Them Strong, Shiny And Healthy At Home: https://www.healthshots.com/beauty/skin-care/8-tips-to-take-care-of-your-nails-at-home/
- Easy And Natural Nail Care Tips And Tricks To Try At Home: https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/10-tips-and-tricks-for-beautiful-nails/
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Nail Care: https://www.msccollege.edu/blogs/nails/dos-and-donts-of-nail-care/