Acrylic nails enhance the appearance of your nails by providing a more manicured look. If you are a person who loves to try different nail arts and designs, and wish to try acrylic nail, you may want to consider the pros and cons of it before doing so. It may be the best choice for people who want long, strong, stylish nails.
Proper care and maintenance are required to keep the acrylic nail looking great for a long duration and to prevent possible issues like breakage, infections, etc. We have enlisted some tips that might be helpful to you about how to take care of and remove your acrylic nail as well as simple tips on maintaining the same for longevity.
Table Of Contents
- What Are Acrylic Nails?
- How To Apply Acrylic Nails At Home?
- How To Maintain And Care For Acrylic Nails?
- Acrylic Nails Vs. Gel Nails
- Acrylic Nails: Their Pros And Cons
- How To Remove Acrylic Nails?
- The Cost Of Acrylic Nails
- The Importance Of Finding A Qualified Nail Technician
What Are Acrylic Nails?
Acrylic nail is a nail extension that increases the beauty of your fingers and nails. It is made by combining an acrylic liquid product and a powder product. Your nail technician combines these products together in a particular proportion and applies the mixture to your nails. Then, they shape them to achieve the better and expected shape and results.
How To Apply Acrylic Nails At Home?
Even though acrylic nail application at home is possible, you need some practice and knowledge of all the processes involved. It might be tricky and complex for some. Here we have given some important steps involved in applying acrylic nail at home.
- Choose your favorite acrylic nail kit. Purchase the best brand after reviewing the feedback.
- The next step is nail preparation. Remove the old nail polish from your nails using a nail remover, move your cuticle back, and trim and buff your nails using appropriate mani-pedi tools.
- Choose the perfect nail tips that match your needs and natural nails from your kit. If nothing matches your wish, gently file them for the appropriate shape.
- Now, apply the nail tip using acrylic nail glue. Place it correctly and apply a little pressure for 10 seconds.
- Use your nail clippers and file to reshape the newly-applied tips(only if needed).
- Dehydrate your nails to wipe off the moisture and prime your nails from cuticle to nail tip.
- Combine acrylic powder and liquid, and apply the product to your nails using a brush.
- Dry your acrylic nail for 10 minutes. If your room is warmer, the acrylic nail will set soon.
- Don’t forget to smooth out the edges of your nails for a fine finish.
- Now, paint your nails.
If you are not confident, consult a nail technician or a salon. They can help you achieve perfect and durable results.
How To Maintain And Care For Acrylic Nails?
Generally, a lot of people believe that acrylic nails are maintenance-free. Contrary to popular belief, these nails actually do need some tender loving care. Here are some valuable tips for maintaining and caring for acrylic nails. They are
- After the application, keep your nails dry for at least 24 hours. This step is essential to allow the acrylic to fully cure and set.
- Better avoid excessive water exposure. Use gloves when doing dishes. Otherwise, water contact causes your acrylic nail to weaken and lift.
- Soothe your nails and cuticles using a moisturizer. Thus, you can prevent dryness and nail cracking.
- File and reshape your fingers periodically because when your nails grow, acrylic may become uneven.
- Check the nail remover formulation to avoid the presence of acetone. This chemical may weaken the acrylic.
- Stay away from nail-biting and picking habits. Thus, you can prevent acrylic nails from lifting and breaking.
- Visit your spa to refill your nail if necessary. Thus, you can improve the look of the nails.
- Avoid weight lifting or putting more pressure on these acrylic nails.
- In case of any damage or chipping, visit your spa.
These steps help you maintain the look of your nails for a long duration. Even a small mistake in filing, shaping, or handling the nails can ruin the entire beauty of your beautifully-applied nails.
Acrylic Nails Vs. Gel Nails
Let’s check some major differences between acrylic and gel nails.
Acrylic nails come under the extension category. These nails are less costly and widely available. If you want to hide your weak or brittle natural nails, acrylic nails are a better choice for you. Shaping and filing to try different designs and artworks is easy in this case.
They are not extensions. The process involves applying a base coat, two nail polish layers, and a protective top coat. The nail polish colors can be pink, orange, green, black, or blue. The final process is curing the nails under a UV light for a few minutes. If you want shiny nails in your natural nail length, you can go for gel nails.
The flexible character of gel nails makes them a better choice than acrylic nails. Also, the chances of nail chips and breaks are less in this case. It dries so soon with less effort.
The only issue is that its results last only for 2 weeks. Also, exposure to UV light while curing and dipping the fingers in acetone while removing the nails is harmful to your nails and skin.
Yes, both these nail types have their own pros and cons. To make a better decision, consult a professional nail technician and find which one is best for your fingers based on the lifestyle and style you want.
Acrylic Nails: Their Pros And Cons
Acrylic nails can look beautiful and last for weeks, giving you the perfect manicure without having to constantly touch up your nails. On the other hand, they can damage your natural nails and be quite expensive to maintain.
Hence, you can make an informed decision after reviewing the pros and cons whether or not they’re right for you.
Pros Of Acrylic Nails
- Enhances the appearance and length of your natural nails.
- Lasts for weeks without losing their shine or shape if properly cared for.
- Highly customizable and provides endless opportunities for creative and stunning nail designs.
- Create a variety of nail shapes, from square to almond to stiletto.
- Strengthens weak, brittle nails by acting as a protective barrier and preventing natural nails from breaking or splitting.
Cons Of Acrylic Nails
- Improper application or removal of acrylic nails can damage the natural nails.
- May develop allergic reactions to the chemicals used in the acrylic nail application process.
- The application process for acrylic nails can be time-consuming depending on the shape, length, and design.
- Requires regular maintenance with regular “fills” or touch-ups to keep the nails looking their best.
- Acrylic nails can create a breeding ground for bacteria and fungi if not properly maintained.
- It involves the use of chemicals that emit a strong odor.
- Restrict certain activities due to their extended length and hardness.
- Continuous use of acrylic nails and the removal process can result in the thinning of natural nails.
- It may look artificial when compared to natural nails.
- Removing acrylic nails involves soaking the nails in the harmful chemical acetone for about 20 minutes to loosen up the nails.
How To Remove Acrylic Nails?
Here are a few steps involved in removing acrylic nails.
- Clip the end of the acrylic nails. Cut them as near as to your natural nails.
- File down the acrylic nails until they are flush with your natural nails. This is a time-consuming process that might be harsh on your natural nails.
- Take acetone in a bowl and soak your nails in it for 15-20 minutes.
- Now the acrylic becomes soft. Gently push and scrap it off.
- If any remaining are there, again soak your fingers in acetone and push it again.
- Finally, buff your nails and apply cuticle oil to re-hydrate your natural nails.
- You can also use an acetone-free remover to break down the acrylic. It loosens the link between the acrylic and the natural nail and helps you break it completely. Even though this process is less damaging to your nails, it takes more time.
- Another method is covering your acrylic nails with cotton balls dipped in acetone. Keep it on for 30 minutes. Now, you can remove it easily.
Do not try biting, pulling harshly, and peeling to remove it. It may damage your natural nails and cause pain.
The Cost Of Acrylic Nails
Acrylic nails can be quite expensive to maintain. The initial cost of getting acrylics can range from approximately $30 to $100, depending on the salon and the complexity of the design. Additionally, you’ll need to budget for regular fills and repairs, which can cost anywhere from $20 to $50 per appointment.
So, is it worth the investment? That ultimately depends on your budget and priorities. If you’re willing to expend the time and money in maintaining your acrylic nails, they can be an excellent choice for achieving nails that are long-lasting and require minimal upkeep. Nevertheless, if you’re on a limited budget or prefer a more natural appearance, there may be superior alternatives to acrylics available.
The Importance Of Finding A Qualified Nail Technician
Finally, it’s important to find a qualified nail technician to apply and maintain your acrylics. A skilled technician will be able to apply your acrylics safely and effectively, minimizing damage to your natural nails. Additionally, a qualified technician will be able to identify and address any issues with your nails, such as lifting or damage.
When selecting a nail technician, it’s important to conduct thorough research and read reviews from fellow customers. Look for a technician who has experience with acrylics and has a portfolio of their work available to view.
Q: Name some celebrities who shine best in their acrylic nails.
A: Lana Del Rey, Rihanna, Kylie Jenner, Billie Eilish, and Khloe Kardashian are some popular personalities who love to rock acrylic nails.
Q: How much does acrylic nail application cost?
A: Acrylic nail application costs around 10$ to 30$.
Q: Can I apply acrylic nails at home?
A: While it’s possible to apply acrylic nails at home, it is generally recommended to seek professional assistance. Proper application requires skill and knowledge to ensure the safety and health of your natural nails.
Q: How long do acrylic nails last?
A: Acrylic nails can last up to three weeks before they require a refill. Nevertheless, the specific duration may vary depending on factors such as the rate of nail growth and the level of maintenance they receive.
Q: Are acrylic nails damaging to my natural nails?
A: When applied and removed correctly by a professional, acrylic nails should not cause significant damage to your natural nails. However, improper application or removal can result in nail damage, thinning, or infections.
Q: Can I remove acrylic nails at home?
A: It is generally recommended to have acrylic nails professionally removed to minimize the risk of damage. Attempting to remove them at home can lead to nail bed trauma or other complications.
Q: Can I wear acrylic nails if I have allergies?
A: Individuals with known allergies or sensitivities to the chemicals used in acrylic nails should exercise caution or consult a dermatologist before getting acrylic nails. They may recommend alternative options that are less likely to trigger an allergic reaction.
Q: Can I wear nail polish on acrylic nails?
A: Yes, you can wear nail polish on acrylic nails. In fact, applying nail polish can help protect the acrylic and extend its lifespan. Just ensure you use a non-acetone nail polish remover to avoid damaging the acrylic surface.
- How To Take Care Of Acrylic Nails: https://nestnailwellness.com/blog/take-care-acrylic-nails/
- The Beginner’s Guide To Acrylic Nails: https://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/nails/a31123254/acrylic-nails-what-to-know/
- What To Know Before Getting Acrylic Nails: https://www.instyle.com/beauty/nails/what-to-know-about-getting-acrylic-nails
- How To Remove Acrylic Nails Without Damaging Your Nails: https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/a29668760/how-to-remove-acrylic-nails/
- Billie Eilish & Other Celebs Who Rock Acrylic Nails: https://www.thethings.com/billie-eilish-other-celebs-who-rock-acrylic-nails/#rihanna