Acrylic nails enhance the appearance of your nails by providing a more manicured look. If you are a person who loves to try different nail arts and designs, and wish to try acrylic nails, you may want to consider the pros and cons of it before doing so. It may be the best choice for people who want long, strong, stylish nails.
Proper care and maintenance are required to keep the acrylic nails looking great for a long duration and to prevent possible issues like breakage, infections, etc. We have enlisted some tips that might be helpful to you about how to take care of and remove your acrylic nails as well as simple tips on maintaining the same for longevity.
Table Of Contents
- What Are Acrylic Nails?
- How To Apply Acrylic Nails At Home?
- How To Maintain And Care For Acrylic Nails?
- Acrylic Nails Vs. Gel Nails
- Acrylic Nails: Their Pros And Cons
- How To Remove Acrylic Nails?
- Make It Professional
What Are Acrylic Nails?
Acrylic nail is a nail extension that increases the beauty of your fingers and nails. It is made by combining an acrylic liquid product and a powder product. Your nail technician combines these products together in a particular proportion and applies the mixture to your nails. Then, they shape them to achieve the better and expected shape and results.
How To Apply Acrylic Nails At Home?
Even though acrylic nail application at home is possible, you need some practice and knowledge of all the processes involved. It might be tricky and complex for some. Here we have given some important steps involved in applying acrylic nails at home.
- Choose your favorite acrylic nail kit. Purchase the best brand after reviewing the feedback.
- The next step is nail preparation. Remove the old nail polish from your nails using a nail remover, move your cuticle back, and trim and buff your nails using appropriate mani-pedi tools.
- Choose the perfect nail tips that match your needs and natural nails from your kit. If nothing matches your wish, gently file them for the appropriate shape.
- Now, apply the nail tip using acrylic nail glue. Place it correctly and apply a little pressure for 10 seconds.
- Use your nail clippers and file to reshape the newly-applied tips(only if needed).
- Dehydrate your nails to wipe off the moisture and prime your nails from cuticle to nail tip.
- Combine acrylic powder and liquid, and apply the product to your nails using a brush.
- Dry your acrylic nails for 10 minutes. If your room is warmer, the acrylic nails will set soon.
- Don’t forget to smooth out the edges of your nails for a fine finish.
- Now, paint your nails.
If you are not confident, consult a nail technician or a salon. They can help you achieve perfect and durable results.
How To Maintain And Care For Acrylic Nails?
Generally, a lot of people believe that acrylic nails are maintenance-free. Contrary to popular belief, these nails actually do need some tender loving care. Here are some valuable tips for maintaining and caring for acrylic nails. They are
- After the application, keep your nails dry for at least 24 hours. This step is essential to allow the acrylic to fully cure and set.
- Better avoid excessive water exposure. Use gloves when doing dishes. Otherwise, water contact causes your acrylic nails to weaken and lift.
- Soothe your nails and cuticles using a moisturizer. Thus, you can prevent dryness and nail cracking.
- File and reshape your fingers periodically because when your nails grow, acrylic may become uneven.
- Check the nail remover formulation to avoid the presence of acetone. This chemical may weaken the acrylic.
- Stay away from nail-biting and picking habits. Thus, you can prevent acrylic nails from lifting and breaking.
- Visit your spa to refill your nail if necessary. Thus, you can improve the look of the nails.
- Avoid weight lifting or putting more pressure on these acrylic nails.
- In case of any damage or chipping, visit your spa.
These steps help you maintain the look of your nails for a long duration. Even a small mistake in filing, shaping, or handling the nails can ruin the entire beauty of your beautifully-applied nails.
Acrylic Nails Vs. Gel Nails
Let’s check some major differences between acrylic and gel nails.
Acrylic nails come under the extension category. These nails are less costly and widely available. If you want to hide your weak or brittle natural nails, acrylic nails are a better choice for you. Shaping and filing to try different designs and artworks is easy in this case.
They are not extensions. The process involves applying a base coat, two nail polish layers, and a protective top coat. The nail polish colors can be pink, orange, green, black, or blue. The final process is curing the nails under a UV light for a few minutes. If you want shiny nails in your natural nail length, you can go for gel nails.
The flexible character of gel nails makes them a better choice than acrylic nails. Also, the chances of nail chips and breaks are less in this case. It dries so soon with less effort.
The only issue is that its results last only for 2 weeks. Also, exposure to UV light while curing and dipping the fingers in acetone while removing the nails is harmful to your nails and skin.
Yes, both these nail types have their own pros and cons. To make a better decision, consult a professional nail technician and find which one is best for your fingers based on the lifestyle and style you want.
Acrylic Nails: Their Pros And Cons
Here we can see the pros and cons of acrylic nails.
Pros Of Acrylic Nails
- Suitable for weak and brittle natural nails.
- Nail shaping and filing are easy.
- Long-lasting results, up to 4 weeks.
- The chances of damage are less with proper care.
- It acts as a smooth surface for different nail works.
Cons Of Acrylic Nails
- The mistakes in application and removal may affect your natural nails.
- The harsh smell of the chemicals is dangerous.
- The chemicals used may affect your natural nail bed and nearby skin badly.
- These nails may give an artificial look to your natural nails.
- Nail removal includes the presence of the harmful chemical acetone.
How To Remove Acrylic Nails?
Here are a few steps involved in removing acrylic nails.
- Clip the end of the acrylic nails. Cut them as near as to your natural nails.
- File down the acrylic nails until they are flush with your natural nails. This is a time-consuming process that might be harsh on your natural nails.
- Take acetone in a bowl and soak your nails in it for 15-20 minutes.
- Now the acrylic becomes soft. Gently push and scrap it off.
- If any remaining are there, again soak your fingers in acetone and push it again.
- Finally, buff your nails and apply cuticle oil to rehydrate your natural nails.
- You can also use an acetone-free remover to break down the acrylic. It loosens the link between the acrylic and the natural nail and helps you break it completely. Even though this process is less damaging to your nails, it takes more time.
- Another method is covering your acrylic nails with cotton balls dipped in acetone. Keep it on for 30 minutes. Now, you can remove it easily.
Do not try biting, pulling harshly, and peeling to remove it. It may damage your natural nails and cause pain.
Make It Professional
Try the DIY method if you do not have time to travel. Otherwise, go to your spa for acrylic nail work because this process is complex, and you need to handle specialized tools and equipment for a neat result. You can get the perfect result only with proper training and experience. Also, it is essential to ensure a hygienic and sanitized environment.
Q: Name some celebrities who shine best in their acrylic nails.
A: Lana Del Rey, Rihanna, Kylie Jenner, Billie Eilish, and Khloe Kardashian are some popular personalities who love to rock acrylic nails.
Q: How much does acrylic nail application cost?
A: Acrylic nail application costs around 10$ to 30$.
- How To Take Care Of Acrylic Nails: https://nestnailwellness.com/blog/take-care-acrylic-nails/
- The Beginner’s Guide To Acrylic Nails: https://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/nails/a31123254/acrylic-nails-what-to-know/
- What To Know Before Getting Acrylic Nails: https://www.instyle.com/beauty/nails/what-to-know-about-getting-acrylic-nails
- How To Remove Acrylic Nails Without Damaging Your Nails: https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/a29668760/how-to-remove-acrylic-nails/
- Billie Eilish & Other Celebs Who Rock Acrylic Nails: https://www.thethings.com/billie-eilish-other-celebs-who-rock-acrylic-nails/#rihanna