Long Nail Growing: 5 Effective Home Remedies
Long and healthy nails are a big dream for most women because long nails give them more opportunities to try different designs like butterfly nails, flame nails, almond nails, coffin nails, etc.
People with short nails usually choose nail extensions to try trendy designs and styles and to be updated. Is it really difficult to grow long nails naturally? No, you can grow your nails long naturally with simple dietary changes and home remedies.
If you want to grow out your nails for a special occasion or simply have beautiful, long nails all year, understand the root cause for why it is not growing and treat it by improving your vitamin intake and trying home remedies.
Table Of Contents
- Why Are Your Nails Not Growing?
- Vitamins To Grow Your Nails
- Are There Foods That Grow Your Nails?
- Best Home Remedies For Nail Growth
- Right Way To Grow Your Nails Long
Why Are Your Nails Not Growing?
There could be many reasons why your nails aren’t growing. Some of them might be visible, while others might be hidden. It’s essential to comprehend both in order to recognize the problem and find the ideal solution.
- Nail growth has a direct connection with your age. For example, an infant’s nail grows slowly, but a child’s (10-14 years old) nail grows faster.
- If your body does not get needed nutrients like protein or biotin through your daily food intake, your nails may become weak and brittle, making it difficult for them to grow.
- Hormonal changes during teenage, pregnancy, and menopause and medical conditions like thyroid, diabetes, and anemia may weaken your nails and affect their growth.
- Another fact is that toenails and fingernails have different growth rates. Fingernails grow a little faster than your toenails. Also, each of our fingernails grows at a different speed.
- Certain medications like anticonvulsant drugs, chemotherapy drugs, retinoids, and antibiotics may also affect your nail growth.
- Habits like nail biting, frequent use of nail polish with harsh chemicals, and trying complex artwork on weak nails may also affect the growth of your nails.
Vitamins To Grow Your Nails
Your skin, nails, and hair will always benefit greatly from vitamins and nutrients. Here are some vitamins that are essential for good nail growth.
- Biotin, vitamin H or B7, is a B-complex vitamin that contributes more to your healthy skin, hair, and nails. It plays a great role in keratin production, a protein that makes up your nails.
- Vitamin C, an antioxidant, helps your body produce collagen. This protein gives structure to your skin, hair, and nails. This antioxidant also helps your body absorb iron, which is a vital mineral for healthy nail growth.
- If you notice brittle nails, it can be a symptom of vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D helps your body absorb sufficient calcium, which is important for healthy and long nail growth.
- Vitamin E, another antioxidant, protects your nails from damage and keeps them healthy and strong.
- Vitamin A is important for skin health and robust and longer nail growth.
Also, include zinc and iron in your daily intake for nail growth. The deficiency of these minerals may create white spots or ridges on your healthy nails.
If you are really concerned about your nail growth, consider taking multivitamins or biotin supplements. You can also get suggestions from a healthcare professional to know what’s best for you.
Are There Foods That Grow Your Nails?
Yes, various food sources help in promoting nail growth and overall health. Ensure that you are intaking enough of these foods on a daily basis.
- Eat more protein-rich foods like fish, chicken, eggs, and beans. This protein content can help the body produce keratin, the protein that makes up nails.
- Try to include more leafy greens in your menu. Some are spinach, broccoli, and kale. They are rich in vitamins A, C, and K, essential for healthy and strong nail growth.
- Eat fruits and vegetables like berries, broccoli, oranges, carrots, and sweet potatoes, which are good sources of antioxidants. They protect your nails from damage.
- Millet, brown rice, and barley are some whole grains that are capable of supplying needed energy to your body, which is essential for healthy nail growth.
- Nuts and seeds such as peanuts, pecans, almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, chia seeds, and pumpkin seeds are rich in biotin and zinc. Eat them sufficiently to improve the strength of your nails.
- Avocados, nuts, and seeds include some healthy fats that provide your body with the essential fatty acids needed to produce healthy cell membranes. Those are essential for healthy nails.
- Improve your water intake to keep your nails and body hydrated.
Best Home Remedies For Nail Growth
Several home remedies can help promote nail growth and enhance the overall appearance of your nails. These remedies work well for all nail shapes and sizes.
- Petroleum Jelly
It has no direct connection with your nail growth, but it can nourish your nails and make them appear healthy by repairing the damage caused by dryness. Apply petroleum jelly on your fingers, including cuticles, and leave it overnight.
Rub tomato pulp on your nails and leave it for ten minutes. The lycopene and biotin in tomatoes improve your nail growth, and vitamins A and C in that will make your nail appear shinier and brighter.
- Castor Oil
Apply warm castor oil on your nails and massage them for some time. It will nourish your nails and cuticles. It can also improve blood circulation and the growth of your nails.
- Coconut Oil
The fatty acids in coconut oil improve your nail growth. This oil’s moisturizing and antifungal properties keep your nails healthy, clean, and moisturized. For this, apply coconut oil to your nail and keep it overnight.
- Olive Oil
Massaging your nails and cuticles with warm olive oil may strengthen and moisturize your nail and repair cuticle and nail damage.
For positive results through these natural remedies, you must also change unhealthy habits. Follow healthy habits to grow strong long nails.
Right Way To Grow Your Nails Long
These remedies, which range from using olive oil to strengthen nails to incorporating vitamin-rich foods into your diet, are simple to implement and can produce visible results. But it is essential to keep in mind that nails grow slowly and it might take some time to see results.
If you have any discoloration or infections on your fingernails or toenails with pain or swelling, treat them with home remedies or medications to see improvement in nail growth.
Q: Is using a nail extension good?
A: It has both advantages and disadvantages. Nail extensions can improve the appearance of your damaged, short, or thin nails. But sometimes, it may create allergic reactions or fungal or bacterial infections.
Q: How does acetone affect your nail growth?
A: Acetone in nail removers may dry out your natural nails and cuticles, causing them to become brittle and break easily. Prolonged or frequent use of this chemical may damage your nail plate, leading to slower nail growth and discoloration.
- How To Grow Long Nails – 21 Proven Home Remedies: https://fabbon.com/articles/nails/how-to-grow-long-nails-21-proven-home-remedies
- How To Grow Nails Faster – 12 Best Tips and Home Remedies: https://www.beautifulhameshablog.com/how-to-grow-nails-faster/
- How To Grow Nails Faster And Stronger: https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/how-to-grow-nails-faster/
- How To Grow Nails Fast – Home Remedies: https://gharpar.co/how-to-grow-nails-fast-home-remedies/
- 8 Amazing Foods For Nail Growth And Strength: https://www.humnutrition.com/blog/what-foods-make-your-nails-grow/