Do you notice fine lines below your eyes while washing your face or applying a foundation cream? They are under-eye wrinkles. You might have tried to cover it using makeup, but it might have ended up in vain. Under-eye wrinkles are normal and occur due to aging factors, environmental, and other factors too.
Here, we have listed the causes of under-eye circles and dermatologist-approved tips for treating and reducing under-eye wrinkles.
Wrinkles Under-Eyes: What Is It?
Under-eye wrinkles are small unpleasant lines that arise under your eye area and give you an aged look. Usually, you may notice this when your skin becomes thinner and loses its elasticity. The typical causes of under-eye wrinkles are frequent sun exposure, smoking, repeated facial movements, and genetic changes.
These lines are unavoidable after some age. But sometimes, they appear on our skin earlier due to some skincare mistakes we make. It might be prolonged sun exposure, repeated facial expressions, smoking, etc.
Causes of wrinkles under-eyes
The primary cause of under-eye wrinkles is collagen depletion in the skin’s dermis layer. Collagen is the fundamental factor that supports the facial structure and keeps your skin young. Here are some typical causes of wrinkles under your eyes.
- Age: Age is the foremost reason for wrinkles under the eyes.
- Dehydration: Not consuming enough water makes your skin dull, tight, dry, and flaky resulting in wrinkles.
- Rubbing Eyes: Habit like rubbing eyes when sleepy or tired plays a significant role in under-eye wrinkles.
- Sun Exposure: Spending more of your day out without proper sun protection thickens the skin’s lowest layers and prevents the restoration of elastin and collagen.
- Smoking: Smoking exposes your skin to chemicals and damages your skin texture.
- Facial Movements: Repeated facial movements like squinting, smiling, or frowning result in under-eye wrinkles over time.
- Sleeping Positions: A habit of sleeping on one side or belly by pressing the face on your pillow results in lines and creases.
Types Of Under-Eye Wrinkles
Generally, under-eye wrinkles are three types. They are
- Dynamic Lines – wrinkles that appear when you smile or frown.
- Static Lines – wrinkles that are visible even when the facial muscles are resting.
- Wrinkle Folds – lines formed due to age-related skin sagging.
When Do Under-Eye Wrinkles Start To Show Up?
You cannot predict the exact time of occurrence. If your skin health is great with sufficient collagen production, your skin will glow. Else, you may get wrinkles.
Generally, you may notice dynamic wrinkles under your eyes in your late 20s or early 30s. They may sometimes emerge on your skin even in your early 20s. The reason may be spending a lot of time outdoors, frowning when concentrating on something, or genetics.
Static lines generally appear on your skin in your mid-30s. Dynamic wrinkles also may evolve into static wrinkles over time.
Treatment for Under-Eye Wrinkles
There are many OTC products available to treat under-eye wrinkles. You must choose the ingredients wisely based on your skin type to avoid skin irritation.
Following are some effective ingredients that help you reduce wrinkles under your eyes.
- Avocado Oil – stimulates collagen production and minimizes the appearance of under-eye lines and wrinkles.
- Primrose Oils – help your skin appear more youthful and prevent wrinkles.
- Ceramides – reduce puffiness, wrinkles, and dark circles around the eye contour.
- Vitamin C – brightens your skin and promotes collagen production.
- Retinol – provides collagen-boosting benefits to your skin
- CoQ10 – an antioxidant that fixes skin damage and ensures skin health.
- Vitamin E – fights free radicals and delivers anti-aging effects.
- Vitamin D – prevents premature signs of aging on your skin.
- Peptide – diminish the appearance of expression wrinkles within one week.
- Seaweed – possesses anti-aging and antioxidant properties.
Simple And Easy Exercises For Under-Eye Wrinkles
You can try simple, easy-to-do facial massages, yoga techniques, and face exercises to make your under-eye wrinkles less visible. Here we have listed some.
- Hold your jawbone firm.
- Now, repeatedly move your eyeballs in all four directions.
- Repeat it five times in each direction; that helps you improve the under-eye wrinkles.
- Place the thumb finger on the outer corners of the eyes and your other four fingers on the top of the head.
- Now, close your eyes and squeeze tight.
- Gently pull the outer corners of your eyes out and slightly upwards with your thumbs.
- Maintain this position for about 5-10 seconds.
- Relax and repeat the same steps 10-25 times.
- Place your index finger at the outermost edge of the eyebrow.
- Place the center finger on the cheekbone.
- Gently spread the index finger and center finger.
- Ensure no wrinkles are forming near the eyebrow.
- Flare your elbows out and squint your eyes.
- Hold it for 10 seconds and repeat the entire set three times.
- Do this on both sides.
How To Get Rid Of Under-Eye Wrinkles?
If you want to minimize under-eye wrinkles and stop developing new ones, take the following precautions.
- Follow a healthy diet to prevent early signs of aging and maintain a healthy life.
- Drink more water.
- Practice simple facial yoga techniques to tighten your skin.
- Moisturize around your eyes, the most sensitive and driest area of your face.
- Use sunscreen cream or spray to protect your skin from harsh solar radiation before stepping out.
- Exfoliate your face at least two times a week to remove dead skin cells and promote new cell growth.
- Use a perfect foundation that suits your skin type and perfectly covers your flaws.
Care For Your Eyes
- Give a break for your eyes from screens.
- Use glasses to create a layer between your screen and eyes.
Reconsider Your Sleep Habits
- Sleep on your back.
- Use a silk pillowcase to reduce friction between your face and the pillow.
Treating Under-Eye Wrinkles With Cosmetic Techniques
Yes, under-eye wrinkles are manageable. We can treat it through simple, natural, homemade treatments. But some exceptional situations force us to consider in-office techniques.
Trying these simple makeup tips can help you hide and manage under-eye wrinkles to an extent.
- Use A Silicone-Primer
You can use a silicone-based primer as a magic weapon here. Silicone fills in your wrinkles and creates a smoother surface for applying foundation. After the primer, wait a few minutes to set. Then use your foundation and other makeup.
- Use Light Foundation
A full-coverage foundation or heavy-handed makeup settles your wrinkles and makes your wrinkles more visible. So, a light- or medium-coverage foundation is better for you. Lightweight makeup, like tinted moisturizers, BB creams, or airbrush makeup, gives you coverage without accentuating fine lines and wrinkles on your face.
- Color Correctors
A color corrector helps you conceal wrinkles by lifting the darkness from a specific area. Add this in the deepest part of the wrinkle, then blend it by tapping with your ring finger. This method works with all skin tones.
- Avoid Powder
Makeup powder settles down in your fine lines and wrinkles, making them look worse. So, try to avoid powder, at least in areas with more wrinkles.
- Curl Your Eyelashes
In some cases, false lashes may draw attention to your saggy eyelids or crow’s feet. So, use an eyelash curler or mascara to give your lashes more volume and definition. Also, avoid frosted or glittery eye makeup because it makes wrinkles more noticeable.
Your Road to Wrinkle-Free Under Eyes
Finding the root cause of under-eye wrinkles, using home remedies, practicing yoga techniques, and undergoing medical treatments (only in exceptional cases) can help you clear under-eyes issues more efficiently and effectively.
Q: Why did you suddenly develop wrinkles under my eyes?
A: It has been scientifically and practically proven that smoking, tanning, and residing in areas with poor air quality accelerate the skin’s aging process. Last but not least, certain sleeping patterns and facial emotions may also affect how eye wrinkles appear.
Q: Can we eliminate wrinkles under the eyes?
A: Look for moisturizers with ingredients that have been proven to encourage blood flow and new cell growth. Research and aestheticians support using hyaluronic acid, retinol (a vitamin A derivative), and peptides. The finest under-eye products to combat fine lines may be cooling gels and serums.
Q: Which DIY ingredient is best for wrinkles under the eyes?
A: Alpha hydroxy acids and lactic acid are known to exfoliate dead skin cells. Milk powder is one of the greatest natural treatments for wrinkles beneath the eyes because it is rich in both these nutrients. Additionally, it gives skin its lost luster back and makes it smooth and bright.
- 7 Reasons You Have Under-Eye Wrinkles and What to Do About It: https://yora.com/blogs/journal/under-eye-wrinkles
- Why Do You Get Under-Eye Lines And Wrinkles?: https://www.onlymyhealth.com/why-do-you-get-under-eye-lines-and-wrinkles-1622776866
- 13 Remedies To Get Rid of Under Eye Wrinkles: https://parenting.firstcry.com/articles/magazine-magical-remedies-to-get-rid-of-under-eye-wrinkles/
- Easy And Effective Facial Exercises For Wrinkles: https://www.femina.in/beauty/skin/facial-exercises-for-wrinkles
- What Causes Sudden Under Eye Wrinkles, and How to Get Rid of Them: https://www.aristocratps.com/under-eye-wrinkles-causes-and-treatment/
- How to Get Rid of Under-Eye Wrinkles, According to Experts: https://www.marieclaire.com/beauty/a22179792/how-to-get-rid-of-fine-lines/
- 10 Makeup Tricks That Hide Wrinkles: https://www.prevention.com/beauty/a20480434/10-makeup-tricks-that-hide-wrinkles/