Most of us indeed desire silky smooth hair with good hair volume like the celebs and the beauties in TV commercials. However, despite our best efforts, our hairs constantly seem to have other ideas. Unfortunately, the lack of hair volume is due to poor nutrition, environmental stressors, and other variables influencing our hair quality, making the desire seem like a distant dream.
Fret not! The key to having all those stunning hairstyles – is boosting your hair volume.
Essentially, volume refers to how thick and full your hair seems. Hair can be naturally full or made to appear full by using the proper products or styling it in a specific way. Volume allows us to experiment with hair texture, definition, and style and is essential to creating a great-looking hairdo; therefore, its significance shouldn’t be understated.
Factors That Affect Loss Of Hair Volume
Many factors influence your hair’s health and result in hair volume loss. Even though you might be caring for your hair with good hair care products and frequent visits to hair spas, certain things are inevitable that can impact your hair density, including:
- Heredity: Genetic endowment is crucial in deciding hair growth and fall pattern. If your family members have less hair volume, so do you.
- Aging: As you age, the change in catabolism affects the hair growth cycle. Also, the diameter of the hair follicles becomes small, and the scalp becomes dry. These all influence your hair fall and hair volume.
- Pollution: Pollution affects your scalp and sometimes makes it drier or oily. It results in clogged pores on your scalp and hair breakage. Thus, you may notice a tremendous change in your hair volume.
- Nutrition: The lack of vitamins A, C, B, D, and E, iron, zinc, protein, biotin, and essential fatty acids affects hair growth and thickness.
- Stress: High cortisol level, the stress hormone, pushes your hair follicles to a resting state. As a result, this hair may fall soon when you casually comb or pull it.
- Lifestyle: Using dirty combs, hair brushes, and towels introduce dirt and infections to your scalp and causes hair root damage.
- Prescription Medications: Sometimes, hair loss and thinning may also occur due to certain prescription medicines.
- Smoking: The chemicals inhaled and exhaled through smoking reduce the blood flow to your scalp. It also affects the DNA pattern of your hair follicles. It introduces free radicals to your scalp, thus impacting your hair health and hair thinning.
- Over-Styling: Using harsh chemicals on your hair more frequently and trying complex hairstyles may hurt your hair, making it dry and prone to damage.
- Hormone Deficiency: Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism may trigger hair fall. It affects your body’s metabolism, including weight gain, weight loss, and hair thinning. PCOD in women can also cause hair thinning and brittleness. Diagnosing and treating hormone disorders will help maintain overall health, including hair fall.
Simple Ways To Naturally Increase Your Hair Volume
Increase your hair thickness using these simple remedies and get the voluminous hair you always wanted.
1. Hot Towel Therapy
This popular hair treatment benefits your damaged hair and scalp in various ways. Massage your scalp with coconut oil, castor oil, or almond oil. Wrap your hair with a hot towel after dipping it in hot water and squeezing the excess water. The heat will help the pores on the scalp to open up and allow the oil to reach the roots of the hair and lock the moisture.
Keep your hair wrapped for at least 30 minutes in a hot towel. You may dip the towel again in hot water if it gets cool. Gently wash your hair with any mild shampoo. This therapy will make your hair healthier and softer.
2. Scalp Massage
A scalp massage improves your hair’s natural beauty by supporting scalp health. It reduces the oil and dirt buildup on your scalp and stimulates hair growth by promoting blood circulation.
Massage your scalp with or without oil to improve hair growth and volume at least once daily. Massaging the scalp will also relieve stress, so do it whenever possible.
Best oils that you can choose from for scalp massage
- Coconut Oil – The natural cooling effects treat dry and damaged hair.
- Almond Oil – Works best on thin, frizzy, and dry hair with plenty of split ends.
- Mustard Oil – Scalp relaxing oil for winter as they generate heat.
- Sesame Oil – Reduces stiffness and tightness in the scalp and treats thin, dry, and split ends-heavy hair.
- Jasmine Oil – An anti-depressant and antiseptic that makes your hair thick and healthy by addressing stress and tension.
- Olive Oil – Soothes your scalp and treats scalp dryness, preventing hair damage.
3. Healthy Diet
A healthy diet full of minerals, vitamins, and other nutrients can improve the health of your hair. Infusing these foods into your daily diet plan will reflect on not only your skin but also your hair.
- Omega-3: Salmon, mackerel, tuna, flaxseed oil, chia seeds, flaxseeds, walnuts, canola oil, soybeans, tofu, cruciferous, broccoli, cauliflower.
- Vitamin B6: Pork, chicken, turkey, fish, peanuts, soya beans, wheat germ, oats, bananas.
- Vitamin B12: Animal liver and kidneys, clams, sardines, beef, fortified cereal, tuna, fortified nutritional yeast, trout, salmon.
- Protein: Fish, seafood, white-meat poultry, lean beef, skim or low-fat milk, skim or low-fat yogurt, fat-free or low-fat cheese, eggs.
- Folic Acid: Legumes, asparagus, eggs, leafy greens, beets, citrus fruits, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, nuts, seeds, beef liver, wheat germ.
4. Yoga Practices
Practicing yoga can promote physical and mental health, and several asanas (postures) help stimulate hair growth and improve hair density. Try some of these with the help of a trained yoga specialist.
- Kapalabhati: This early morning breathing exercise cleanses toxins from your head and face regions. It promotes a better oxygen supply in your body and reduces free radicals.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana: This downward-facing dog pose helps increase the blood flow to your scalp, thus promoting hair growth.
- Sarvangasana: The shoulder stand, a whole-body exercise, also enhances blood circulation and flow to your head. With regular practice, this pose benefits your dry and thin hair.
- Balasana: Balasana or a child’s pose combats the triggers of hair fall – stress and digestive issues. Regular practice improves your digestive and mental health and reduces hair loss considerably.
- Sirsasana: Sirsasana or headstand helps hair loss and thinning by improving blood circulation to your scalp.
- Vajrasana: Vajrasana, or the thunderbolt pose, helps digestion and improves nutrient absorption in your body. Thus, it helps maintain long, thick, and healthy hair.
- Uttanasana: Camel pose relaxes your muscles and increases the oxygen levels and blood flow to your head. Thus, it improves the texture and quality of your hair.
5. Herbal Shampoos
Most hair cleansers and shampoos in the market include chemicals such as parabens, formaldehyde, isopropyl alcohol, and sulfates that can make our hair weak and brittle. All these chemicals deteriorate scalp health down the road with frequent use. They also result in scalp irritation, dandruff, and many other hair woes.
So, switching to natural herbal products will clean your scalp and hair and impregnate vital elements for overall hair health.
6. Clinical Methods – The Last Resort
If you cannot see visible results with the above hair care, you may visit a trichologist to analyze the exact cause of volume loss. The trichologist may offer you the options below to satisfy your needs.
- Minoxidil – This FDA-approved medication stimulates hair growth and slows male pattern balding with regular use.
- Finasteride & Dutasteride – Helps improve the hair volume on your scalp by increasing testosterone levels in the body.
- Plasma Therapy – This treatment involves extracting plasma from your blood and injecting it into the scalp to encourage hair regrowth.
- Mesotherapy – This technique provides your scalp with the needed vitamins and improves blood flow for hair regrowth.
- Laser Treatment – Improves scalp and hair follicle strength, reduces hair loss, and promotes hair growth using low-level lasers.
- Hair Transplantation – An effective and invasive procedure that helps restore hair growth and improve hair volume.
Lifestyle Hacks To Increase Hair Volume And Density
We have drafted some of the necessary lifestyle shifts that may help improve the texture of your hair and add volume. Add some of these hacks into your routine and see how it takes a turn.
- Try to be stress-free and don’t overthink. High-stress levels can impact your hair density.
- Stay away from habits like smoking, vaping, drugs and alcohol.
- Getting a peaceful, deep sleep repairs you from the inside. Add some sleep-inducing foods to your menu.
- Drink more water and fresh juices to keep yourself constantly hydrated.
- Before purchasing, check the chemicals in your shampoo, oil, and other hair products. Avoid products containing triclosan, sulfur, alcohol, sodium chloride, formaldehyde, and parabens.
- Cover your hair from the direct sun using a scarf or hat.
- Refrain from harming your hair by trying different hairstyles.
- Braid your hair loosely while sleeping.
- Use clean towels to wipe your hair.
- Clean and sanitize your comb once a week.
- Stick to regular hair care routines.
- Do not change your hair care products often.
- Trim the split ends regularly.
- Use a silk pillowcase at night because cotton pillowcases absorb the oils from your hair and leave your hair dry.
- Use a comfortable wide-toothed comb to avoid hair breakage.
- Never tie your wet hair.
- Refrain from over-washing your hair. Doing so may remove the natural oils from your scalp and dry it.
- Avoid frequent hair coloring; limit hair curling and straightening. These all expose your hair to heat and chemicals.
Quick Tricks To Voluminous Your Hair Instantly
If you are going to a party, celebration, or outing, these tricks can add extra volume to your hair and style it the way you want.
- Use volumizing shampoo – These shampoos make your hair appear thicker and fuller.
- Blow dry your tresses upside down – This trick helps your hair appear thicker and voluminous from the root.
- Make changes in your hairstyles – Try haircuts that suit your face shape, and avoid parting your hair in the middle since it can make your hair look flatter.
- Try dry shampoo – Dry shampoo quickly removes excess oil from your scalp and makes your hair appear thicker.
- Try conditioners after shampoo – Volumizing conditioner gives your hair volume and makes it bouncy and shiny. Apply it one to two inches away from the scalp.
- Hair Extensions – Customized hair extensions temporarily add extra volume to your hair. You may also go for the colored ones to look and feel great.
- Heated Rollers – Adds curl and volume to your hair quickly and easily.
Volumize Your Hair
Improve your hair health by moisturizing your scalp and giving it a refresh with proper hair care and hygiene. It is easy to boost your hair volume by implementing self-care measures and natural remedies. The right nourishment and hair care will strengthen your hair from its roots.
1. What is normal hair volume?
An individual with normal hair volume will have about 2000-2200 hair strands per square inch of the scalp area. If the hair strands are less, the person is said to have low hair volume.
2. Can high-stress levels cause loss of hair volume?
Yes. High-stress levels and work pressure can cause hair fall and loss of volume. The hair follicles are pushed into the resting phase, which stops the production of new hair strands. Controlling stress may prevent irreversible damage.
3. Will shaving the head enhance hair growth?
No. Shaving your head doesn’t affect your hair texture or type or increase hair growth. It doesn’t even help add volume to hair. It will only lead to more scalp dryness, irritation, and inflammation.
- Four tips on how you can increase the volume of your hair: https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/life-style/hair-care-tips-increase-volume-hair-care-7612886/
- How to Increase Hair Volume and Density Naturally – Bodywise: https://bebodywise.com/blog/how-to-increase-hair-volume-and-density-naturally/
- Minoxidil and its use in hair disorders: a review: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6691938/
- Can Yoga Improve Hair Growth and Thickness?: https://www.healthline.com/health/yoga-for-hair
- Can a Scalp Massage Help Your Hair Grow?: https://www.healthline.com/health/scalp-massage-for-hair-growth
- Hot Towel Treatment For Hair: Step By Step Guide: https://www.herzindagi.com/beauty/hot-towel-treatment-for-hair-at-home-article-179540