Dehydration, winter, skincare products, and skin allergies may make the skin around your mouth dry. It may sometimes become a complex mission to control the itchiness and cover this dryness even with makeup.
If you have been encountering dry and flaky skin around your mouth, we will help you find the triggering causes and factors, as well as help you manage and treat it completely.
Table Of Contents
- Why Does The Skin Around Your Mouth Get Dry?
- How To Fix Dry Skin Around Your Mouth
- Natural Remedies To Treat Dry Skin Around Your Mouth
- Soothe Your Skin Dryness
Why Does The Skin Around Your Mouth Get Dry?
The skin around your mouth differs from the skin on the other facial area and your body. It is thinner and more prone to redness and irritation than the rest of your face. This area has fewer oil glands which makes it dry often.
But this is not the only reason. Sometimes, you may get occasional dry, flaky patches and skin irritation. In this case, there are some uncovered reasons.
Let’s check some common causes.
- Natural aging
- UV exposure
- Less water intake
- Being lazy to moisturize your skin often
- Eating unhealthy foods
- Less intake of vitamins and minerals
- Using products with skin-irritating ingredients
- Usage of steroids and birth control pills
- Fluoride in toothpaste
- Dry weather
- Lips-licking habit
- Chronic skin conditions like eczema, atopic dermatitis, perioral dermatitis, angular cheilitis, etc.
How To Fix Dry Skin Around Your Mouth
Treatments and remedies for the dryness around your mouth may vary according to the underlying cause and severity.
Let’s look at some possible ways that you can do on your part.
- Making Some Changes In Habits
Put an end card to your lip-biting habit. If you feel itchiness or dry lips, use a lip balm or mild lip scrubs to soothe or get rid of that.
- Change Your Cleanser
You can fix your dry skin by replacing your harsh cleanser with a mild and gentle one. These cleansers with moisturizing ingredients may help you retain the natural oils and treat skin damage.
- Exfoliate Your Skin Regularly
Exfoliate your skin regularly to remove the accumulation of dead skin cells and improve the skin’s texture.
- Hydrate Your Skin With Serum
Choose a facial moisturizing serum with low oil content to hydrate and soothe the dry skin around your mouth. Look for ingredients like glycerin and hyaluronic acid.
- Use Broad-Spectrum SPF
- Change Your Diet
Sometimes, spicy foods can also trigger dryness around your mouth. So avoid those foods and include foods high in vitamins and minerals.
- Switch Your Brands
Switch your brand or ingredients if they are the reason for skin dryness.
- Try A Humidifier
A humidifier can add needed moisture to the air in your room. Thus, it naturally helps you treat flaky skin due to dry air.
- Identify And Treat Your Skin Conditions
Visit your dermatologist if you need to determine the suspected allergens and treat underlying medical conditions.
Natural Remedies To Treat Dry Skin Around Your Mouth
If you are going through the earlier stage of skin dryness, you can try some natural remedies to treat it.
- Avocado – Helps soothe dry skin
- Olive Oil and Honey – Acts as a skin moisturizer
How To Prepare:
- Combine some avocado puree, a teaspoon of olive oil, and honey.
- Blend it into a paste.
- Apply it to your face, let it be there for 15 to 20 minutes, and wipe it off when it dries.
- Finally, apply your regular moisturizer to enhance the moisturizing effects.
- Sugar – Acts as a skin exfoliator
- Lavender Oil – Balances skin’s moisture barrier
How To Prepare:
- Combine two tablespoons of sugar and olive oil to make a scrub.
- Add relaxing essential oil, like lavender, to promote a calm feel.
- Gently scrub your lips and mouth area with this mixture, keep it on your skin for some time, and wash it off with warm water.
- Apply your favorite moisturizer as a final step to seal in the moisture.
Oatmeal – Moisturizes the skin with its emollient properties
How To Prepare:
- Blend oats, honey, and a small quantity of water to make a thick paste.
- Warm this paste a little and apply it to the area around your mouth.
- Leave it for about 5 to 7 minutes and rub it in circular motions gently for a few seconds to exfoliate the skin.
- Allow it to stay on your skin for at least 15 minutes, and wash it with lukewarm water.
Soothe Your Skin Dryness
Itchiness, rashes, wrinkles, and dry skin around your mouth may make you uncomfortable and give you an unpleasant look. Most of the time, you can treat this with simple lifestyle changes. But, in some cases, it will take a while. In this situation, consult your dermatologist or a skin specialist to get the proper treatment at the right time.
Q: What happens if you scratch your dry skin around the mouth?
A: When you scratch your dry skin too often, it may become infected with visible signs of skin tenderness, redness, swelling, and pus.
Q: Is Vaseline good for dry skin around the mouth?
A: The long-time moisturizing properties of Vaseline make it the safest treatment that can relieve skin dryness and irritation.
Q: Can I exfoliate my dry skin too often?
A: Exfoliate your skin up to one to two times a week. It is more than enough and effective for dry skin around the mouth. Over-exfoliation may lead to skin redness and irritation.
- How Can You Treat Dry Skin Around Your Mouth?: https://skinkraft.com/blogs/articles/dry-skin-around-mouth
- Why Do I Have Dry Skin Around My Mouth?: https://www.healthline.com/health/skin/dry-skin-around-mouth
- Dry skin around the mouth. Causes, treatments and more!: https://cureskin.com/articles/dry-skin-around-the-mouth-causes-treatments-and-more/
- Dry skin around the mouth: Causes and remedies: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/3250